|Cause of Death
Upon his death in 1743, Faneuil was buried Faneuil is buried at the very back of the
in the Granary Burying Ground in Boston, premises. Established in 1660, the
Massachusetts. graveyard contains 2,345 burial sites.
Peter Faneuil is not the only notable person A photo from my April 2011 trip
buried in the Granary Burying Ground. Samuel to Granary. It was Faneuil who
Adams and Robert Treat Paine are interred funded Boston's famous Faneuil
there as well. Hall.
*** Interesting Facts ***
* He was born on June 20, 1700 in New Rochelle, New York. His father was one of New Rochelle's earliest settlers. He had fled France between the 1680's and the 1690's.
* Peter Faneuil was a successful merchant. He was a vital member of the Triangular Trade.
* Coming from a family of wealth, Faneuil never married. His uncle swore that if Peter ever married, he would disinherit him. The cause of his uncle's actions are unknown.
* Faneuil funded the building of Boston's Faneuil Hall, a meeting place and a market. It was completed only six months before Faneuil's demise.
* When he died in 1743, Faneuil left his siblings 2,340 bottles of wine, among a large variety of other things.
Last Words: Unknown