|Cause of Death
||Vice President Grave
||23rd in my collection
Following his death in 1996, Spiro Agnew's grave is located in the
Agnew was laid to rest in the Garden of the Last Supper
Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens section of the cemetery.
in Timonium, Maryland.
Even with the help of a cemetery employee, Spiro Agnew and Elinor Judefind were wed
we had a difficult time finding the vice president's in May of 1942. She passed away in 2012,
burial site. It would have been much easier two years after my visit to Timonium.
if every grave in the cemetery did not look
the same, and if the numbering system
*** Interesting Facts ***
* Agnew served in the army during the Second World War, and was presented with a Bronze Star for his efforts.
* Spiro Agnew studied at John Hopkins University and then the University of Baltimore School of Law. When he passed the bar in 1949, he took up a career as an attorney, although he was disbarred after a political scandal in 1973.
* While he was running for the governorship of Maryland, Spiro Agnew said he would focus on passing anti-pollution laws and bills supporting integration. The latter is what propelled him into office, as many anti-segregationist Democrats switched over and voted for Agnew, the Republican candidate.
* During his political career, Agnew became famous for the unique utterances that he used to mock his rivals and opponents. He is known to have called his enemies "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history", "nattering nabobs of negativism", and "an effete corps of impudent snobs who classify themselves as intellectuals." According to Agnew, an intellectual "is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike."
* Around 2:00 on October 10, 1973, Secretary of State Henry Kissinger received a notice from Agnew. It was his resignation from the vice presidency. That same day, Agnew appeared in a Baltimore courthouse where he was fined $10,000 and sentenced to ten years of unsupervised probation. Previously in the year, Agnew had been under investigation due to rumors that he had accepted bribes while he was the governor of Maryland and had also committed tax evasion. Eventually, Agnew paid his debt, although his career as a politician was completely blown out of the water.
Second Lady: Elinor Isabel Judefind Agnew
- Spouse: Elinor Isabel Judefind Agnew (1921-2012)
Political Party: Republican Party
Served Under: Richard Milhous Nixon (1969-1973)
Last Words: Unknown